It truly has been a while since I have written a blog post. There has been so much news and I am not sure where to start.
First, I would like to say that New Jersey genealogy is alive and well. From the posts I see in online groups to Society activities around the state, I don’t think there has been a better time to be doing genealogical research on New Jersey families than now!
Next, I want to share that the resources which are available today are numerous. While I know we would all love to have the post-May 1878 certificates for births, marriages and deaths digitally available, the new Ancestry collection—New Jersey, U.S., Birth, Marriage and Death Records, 1711-1878—offers researchers access to clear, readable versions of the registers of Return of Births, Marriages and Deaths for the 1 May 1878–1 June 1878 reporting period. We are no longer restricted to viewing these at a local FamilySearch Center or an FamilySearch affiliate library or make the trek to Trenton to spend a day researching. This is great news!
Note: No there are no records from 1711 in this database. There a serious typo for Daniel Sanford and Margaret Buckelew’s 1879 marriage which was indexed as 1779. This places the birth year for the 68-year-old Daniel at ca1711, instead of the correct time frame of ca1811.1
In total, there are eleven (11) databases on Ancestry relating to the holdings of the New Jersey State Archives.
- New Jersey, U.S., Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817
- New Jersey, U.S., Birth Index, 1848-1878, 1901-1903
- New Jersey, U.S., Birth, Marriage and Death Records, 1711-1878
- New Jersey, U.S., Births and Christenings Index, 1660-1931
- New Jersey, U.S., Death Index, 1848-1878, 1901-2017
- New Jersey, U.S., Deaths and Burials Index, 1798-1971
- New Jersey, U.S., Marriage Index, 1901-2016
- New Jersey, U.S., Marriage Records, 1683-1802
- New Jersey, U.S., Published Archives Series, 1631-1782
- New Jersey, U.S., State Census, 1895
- New Jersey, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1739-1991
In the upcoming weeks, we’ll take a closer look at some of the collections and share research tips and guidance similar to the 2015 posts: Using the Online Collections – Ancestry vs. FamilySearch: Part A and Using the Online Collections – Ancestry vs. FamilySearch: Part B.
Source: Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/62483/ : accessed February 2023) > New Jersey, U.S., Birth, Marriage and Death Records, 1711-1878 > Marriages > 1878 > Hunterdon-Warren > Marriages Hunterdon-Warren v. BU 1878 > image 112 of 361, marriage for Daniel Sandford and Margaret Buckelew, 2 November 1879, page 97.