In December, the Hudson County Genealogical & Historical Society announced the launch the first of their Special Interest Groups (SIGs) at their regular monthly meeting. The Brickwall Busting SIG met and those at the December meeting discussed submissions from members on their “Brickwall Research Problems”.
HCGHS launched the following SIGs:
- German Research (next online chat, Jan 23rd @ 8PM ET)
- Irish Research (first online chat, Feb 18th @ 7:30PM ET)
- Brickwall Busting (next online chat, Jan 26th @ 8PM ET)
- Writing Your Family History (date TBA)
The mission and methods of meeting are still evolving for their groups. If you have an interest and are a HCGHS member, log in to the member website, click on the ‘groups’ tab, find the name of the SIG you like and join it so the moderator knows you’re interested.
Not a Member? Consider joining the Hudson County Genealogical & Historical Society and take advantage of the plethora of member benefits included in your membership fee. These include:
- Online list of surnames being researched
- Online Member Directory
- Hudson Roots, the quarterly HCGHS newsletter, delivered electronically
- Monthly meetings, seminars and events
- “Event Extras”: Downloadable handouts, PowerPoint presentations, audio .mp3 podcasts and more from seminars and events
- Minutes from all past meetings
- Member-only databases
Being local is not required to enjoy the benefits of membership, HCGHS has plenty of tools at their disposal to allow the all members to connect with each other. Log in and join as many as you like! The society plans to add more SIGs in the future based on member feedback and the availability of moderators to lead them. If you have any question about the SIGs program, contact Lisa Hale (firstname.lastname@example.org).